Thursday, June 5, 2008

World Environment Day - Pledge

Devil's Punchbowl Waterfall, New Zealand may be studied using geostatisticsImage via WikipediaWhat does the future hold for us?
Smog filled skies and poison cars,
And broken land with useless dust
And nature’s beauty behind bars.
Can I ever show my children,
(If they ever come my way)
The beauty of a sunset
At the ending of the day?
Can I walk into a forest,
And surround myself with trees,
Yet know that it will remain,
For me to visit as I please.
I know that I can today
Do all the things I’ve said,
But when today is yesterday,
Will all these things be dead?

-- From the Pachamama


Most people want to improve the quality of their lives. This means having a clean, decent, safe home and locality in which to live and raise a family. But this quality of life is often threatened as a result of our very own actions (or inaction).

The choices we make and the products we buy test our commitment to maintain a healthy environment for us and our loved ones. So, let’s Stop…Think…and Act Responsibly; for each responsible choice made by one, improves quality of life for all.

June 5 is World Environment Day. It could be like any other day in the calendar, unless you choose to mark it and make it significant.


You can do this by making a pledge.

Eco-Pledge

I shall switch off all electric gadgets when not in use.

I shall plant as many trees as I can.
I shall try to grow my own food in whatever little space I have.
I shall not keep the tap open when not in use.
I shall ensure all leaking pipes and fixtures are fixed.
I shall recycle, reduce and reuse as much as I can.
I shall segregate and dispose waste as wisely as possible.

I shall use car pooling system whenever I can.
I shall prefer walking or cycling to reach short distances.
I shall opt for public transportation, where ever possible, instead of cars.
I shall buy household articles, gadgets and food items for sheer necessity.
I shall try to substitute the usual cooked meal with uncooked natural diet.
I shall desist buying packed, frozen and stored food items.
I shall buy locally available products instead of imported ones.
I shall not use lighting that consumes too much energy.

The threat to our environment is immediate and the effects are already being felt. Let's commit ourselves to shoulder the responsibility to save mother earth.

Zemanta Pixie

No comments:

sumpit | c1um4n 2008